Candidate Packet Information
Following is a list of required forms and important information to read and review to run for local elected office. All filing is done with the City Clerk's Office - be sure to keep a copy for your records. When filling in the forms, please make sure that all writing is legible.
Required Candidate Filing Forms
Information for Citywide and Aldermanic Offices
- Every candidate for election to public office must have a committee.
- The candidate does not register themselves for campaign finance purposes; they register a committee.
- Candidates cannot receive contributions to or make disbursements until they have registered a committee, except to: open a bank account for the committee; rent a post office box; or produce nomination papers.
- Candidate committees must update their campaign registration data (CF-1) within 10 days following any change in information (e.g., change in address, treasurer, etc.).
- If an incumbent officeholder does not wish to be a candidate for their office in the next election, they must complete the Notification of Noncandidacy in accordance with the deadline.
- A candidate committee can terminate its registration if it: will no longer engage in financial activity; files a final report showing all obligations have been satisfied and the cash balance has been reduced to zero; and completes a termination request form.
- Candidate committees cannot be terminated prior to a primary or election in which they are a candidate; however if a candidate committee loses in a primary, the candidate does not have to wait until after the general election terminate.
- Current office holders cannot terminate their committee while in office.